Friday, October 18, 2013

YOU FOOLED ME-PROOF MASHED CAULIFLOWER RECIPE

Ok, once you become a Low Carber, you search for new ideas to make your comfort food taste just like Grandma did, back in the day. I have tried my best to "like" cauliflower, it all stems back to when I was a young girl "forced" to eat vegetables that the 'grown-ups" liked. Cauliflower was on top of the list of foods that I will never eat when I grow up and move away from my parents!! Well, I NEVER fed my own family cauliflower, because I was forced as a kid, and now as an adult  I "don't" have to eat those icky vegetables my parents forced on me...ha ha...that was until I became a Low Carber!! Once I change my lifestyle in 2009, I was introduced to so many fantastic LOW CARB recipes, I had to try it out MASHED CAULIFLOWER  for myself and wow, did I ever LOVE this, and experimented with my own recipe and came up with a pretty good fooled proof mashed cauliflower recipe.
I will slowly let my adult kids decide that giving up the mashed potato/baked potato can be very liberating because a fool- proof mashed cauliflower recipe could go the distance especially if you know the benefits of giving up starches in your diet. Living the low carb lifestyle gives you so many ideas easily substitute that lump of sugar white potato for that creamy cheesy cauliflower, just add some herbs and spices and anything is possible!
.

I learn from my daughter, that I can't fool her anymore, but she did get fooled a few years ago
Here is a video I made in 2009, introducing my Whipped Cauliflower, letting her think it was mashed potatoes. Oh boy did I get B*atched at..all is good now, she forgave, but doesn't forget.!

Now, this recipes is not exact, you can tweak it to your liking, I am not one to follow exact recipes, but I sure wish I would of known about this before I became a lifestyle low carber. Now my grandson who is 2 will be trying this out for the first time soon, this makes a great holiday dish, and YES, I will tell in advance that it is NOT potato..but sort of would like to fool those people who are picky and not a cauliflower eater like I once was.

Whipped Cauliflower Bacon Ranch Souffle

Pressure cook the cauliflower, or steam/boil till very tender
drain off the water, but leave a bit for flavoring
there are no exact amounts to this recipes
add 1/ 2 stick real butter
add 2 table spoon ranch dressing
add 2 table spoon full fat sour cream
add 2 table spoons full fat cream cheese
add *real) bacon bits
add 1/4 /cup whipping cream



add seasons
1 big dash( you decide)
garlic powder
onion powder
parsley flakes
sea salt- to taste
cayenne pepper
black pepper

whip all together
add to buttered baking dish

top off with sharp cheddar cheese, chives and paprika

bake in 350 degree oven till golden crispy brown on top

serve with your favorite meat, favorite green vegetables and or toss salad

My Sunday dinner doesn't need Mr Potato head at the table-being a low carber doesn't mean I am a meat and cheese eater only...I must continue to cook my meals, introduce new recipes to keep your carbs under control from that carb monster.

No comments: